CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day


I was feeling the St. Patrick's Day spirit this year, so I decided to cook Rode and I an Irish dinner. Rode always said he didn't like corned beef, until he had Hezzie's New England Boiled Dinner, so I figured it was safe. I bought the smallest corned beef they had, and planned I should be able to get it done by at least 7:30 or 8pm. Well, we finally sat down to our delicious corned beef and cabbage Irish dinner at 9:30pm. Cooking meat and lots of root vegetables always takes longer than expected :) It was good, but I would venture to say that it still didn't top Hezzie's.


Hmmm.... What exactly is corned beef? After eating our delicious meal, I got to thinking and wondered about what I had just sunk my teeth into. There are some pretty sketchy meat creations out there, so I thought I would investigate just for my own peace of mind. In case you're wondering like I was, corned beef according to Wikipedia "is a cut of beef (usually brisket, but sometimes round or silverside) cured or pickled in a seasoned brine. The "corn" in "corned beef" refers to the "corn" or grains of coarse salts used to cure it." Not so bad after all!

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Hi Katie! This is Hannah... I don't even remember how I came across your blog... but I love it.

Anyway, I also made corned beef for dinner last week, and then after we ate I too looked up "corned beef" on Wikipedia! That's so funny! Anyway, I hope you're doing well. Congrats on being pregnant!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad it worked out for you. I understand about your fears of mystery meats that make-up Spam, hot dogs, and bologna.

The Bostons said...

Anyone ever heard of Scrapple? Look that one up on Wikipedia, and you'll be checking up on every meat before you eat it. I've never even heard of Scrapple until I moved to Philly.

thepedersens said...

That's actually why I looked it up in the first place, because I had read your friends blog about scrapple. I think that's why I was so relieved to find out it wasn't some sort of mystery meat.